close video
Skip to main content

Commencement FAQ's

Commencement FAQ's

Commencement FAQ's

Commencement May 2023

Where can I get information regarding Commencement ceremonies?
You can find information regarding ceremonies at

What building is the graduation ceremony taking place in?
The ceremony will be held in the ARCC (Athletic, Recreation and Community Center). The ARCC is an air-conditioned facility. Graduates must arrive dressed in their cap and gown for assigned seating. Refer to our campus map for parking.

Are there dress code guidelines?
Yes, graduates must wear their graduation green cap and gown. For more information regarding graduation decorum, visit

Do I need guest admit tickets for all my guests?
No, this will not be a ticketed event. Thus, seating will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. This is subject to change per public health requirements.

What will be the process to enter the ARCC on the day of graduation?
Onsite staff members will instruct graduates and guests on which door to enter into the ARCC.

Where do I park for the graduation ceremony?
Parking lots L & K are adjacent to the ARCC and will be open for guest parking. Parking Lot L1 will have extra spaces for handicapped parking. The access road leading to the ARCC will be closed. Guests will be permitted to drop off guests closer to the ARCC and then proceed to one of the designated parking areas. Portions of the College campus roadways will be closed on graduation day. There will be signs on the day of the event directing guests to the ARCC.

What if I need special assistance at the ceremony?
Graduating students with special needs: Any student planning to participate in the commencement ceremony who will need special assistance (wheel chair access, interpreter) should contact the Disability Support Services office by Friday, May 12, 2023 at 240-500-2273 or

What if my guest(s) has special needs?
There is a limited amount of designated seating for guests with special seating needs (e.g., wheelchair, disabled, elderly). Please contact the Disability Support Services Office by Friday, May 12, 2023 at 240-500-2273 or

How early should my family and I arrive for the ceremony?
Plan to arrive no more than 30 minutes before the ceremony start time. You will not be allowed inside the building prior to this arrival time.

Will there be restrooms open in the ARCC?
Yes, the restrooms located in the lobby of the ARCC will be open all day and accessible to guests.

How do I get a cap and gown for the ceremony?
Cap and Gown ordering is now closed. Students may still apply but will not be allowed to walk in the Commencement Ceremony.

Where do I pick up my cap and gown?
Detailed information will be sent to your student email regarding cap and gown pick-up at the HCC Campus Store. You will need to bring a photo ID to pick up your cap and gown at the HCC Campus Store.

If I have more questions about Commencement – Whom do I contact?
If you have any additional questions regarding the commencement ceremony please contact R. Lee Smith at or by phone at 240-500-2526. For the status of your application for graduation or diploma, please contact Chris Baer at or by phone at 240-500-2341.


Will I receive my diploma the day of the ceremony?
Students participating in the May ceremony are able to pick up their diploma or certificate the Monday following commencement. Diplomas may be picked up in person at the Admissions/Records department counter located in the Student Affairs building during normal business hours. Students must present a photo ID to obtain their diploma. Diplomas that are not picked up by the end of May will be mailed to the address on file.

If I am not attending the ceremony how will I receive my diploma?
May graduates who do not attend the ceremony will be mailed their diploma or certificate approximately three weeks after the last day of the semester. Diplomas will be mailed to the address on file. Students who wish for their diploma to be mailed to a different address can contact

Do majors and minors appear on the diploma?
No, the diploma states the name of the degree earned, like Associate of Arts or Associate of Applied Science. The major/program of study that a student completed is not listed on the diploma. However, this information, both degree earned and major completed, is listed on the official HCC transcript along with the graduation date.

What if I have questions about my diploma?
Questions regarding diplomas can be directed to


How do I request my transcript?
Students can access an unofficial transcript using Self-Service. Official transcripts can be requested online at the Records Office web page using our third-party service, Parchment. Each official transcript request is $5.25 and requires 5-7 business days for processing. For more info, visit

What if I have questions about my transcript or transcript request?
Questions about transcripts or transcript requests can be directed to or 240-500-2239.