• Widening existing two-lane US 40 to three through-lanes between west of I-70 and east of Mt. Aetna Road;
• Widening Edgewood Drive to two through-lanes between the Hoffman Auto Mall and Mt. Aetna Road;
• Improving traffic operations at the intersection by adding new double left-turn lanes from southbound Edgewood Drive to eastbound US 40;
• Enhancing the existing traffic signal to include accessible pedestrian signals (APS) to assist those crossing the intersection. The APS system is an automated voice that alerts pedestrians when to cross; countdown signals display a timer, showing how much time is remaining to safely cross the street;
• Enhancing pedestrian safety with new ADA-compliant sidewalks along westbound US 40 and on Edgewood Drive in both directions throughout project limits; and
• Improving the existing stormwater management system.
During construction, motorists can expect lane closures to occur Mon. through Fri., between 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and nightly from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Single lane closures will allow greater safety for highway crews working on the road and for motorists driving through the work zone. Crews may also need to close a lane of Edgewood Drive, Mon. through Fri., between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information about this project, call SHA’s District 6 Office at 301-729-8400 or toll free at 1-800-760-7138. You can also visit SHA’s traffic safety Web site at www.choosesafetyforlife.com.