- Quick Links
- Academics (Credit)
- Continuing Education (Non-Credit)
- HCC Portal
- Student Email
- College Central Network
- Emergency Alert Sign-Up
- Transcript Requests
- Alumni Association
- HCC Foundation
- Administrator on Duty
- Directions and Maps
- News and Events
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
All nursing applicants (LPN and RN) must complete the nationally-normed test for nursing students known as the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). Applicants will not be considered for admission to the program until they achieve a 69% or higher on the Adjusted Individual Score for Reading and an Adjusted Individual Total Score of at least 60%. This requirement should be completed prior to submission of the Supplemental Application, but no later than the application deadline. If you do not complete the TEAS test, your application will not be evaluated. Please read all of the following material before registering to take the TEAS V.
Frequently Asked Questions about the TEAS
WHAT IS THE TEAS?
- The TEAS is a multiple-choice test used to measure student testing ability in the areas of math, reading, English, and science. The version of the TEAS that HCC uses is the TEAS V. The TEAS test is created by a nursing education company called ATI.
- Because many LPN applicants will take the TEAS before they take Anatomy & Physiology, the score for the science portion of the TEAS will not be considered. The Adjusted Individual Total Score for these applicants will be recalculated using only the English, reading and math sections. This applies to LPN applicants only.
- For all RN applicants, the Adjusted Individual Total Score that appears on the score sheet is the one that will be used. This includes the scores from all four sections of the TEAS V.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE TEAS?
- Students who wish to apply for admission to HCC's Registered Nursing (including LPN-RN applicants) or Practical Nursing program must take the TEAS before the admission deadline for the respective program.
WHEN SHOULD I TAKE THE TEAS?
- Students must register for and take the TEAS test prior to their appropriate application deadline. Ideally, applicants should complete the TEAS prior to submitting the Supplemental Application for their intended program.
- It is recommended that students wait to take the TEAS until after developmental level courses are complete. This will not be possible for a small number of Practical Nursing applicants due to the timing of the LPN admission cycle. In the case of such students, simply wait to take the TEAS until as many developmental courses as possible are complete. The TEAS must still be completed prior to the application deadline.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO REGISTER FOR THE TEAS?
- Students will need their HCC ID number, a credit card, and an e-mail address to complete the online registration. If you are not currently an HCC student, you should complete an HCC application in order to receive a student ID number.
WHEN IS THE TEAS OFFERED?
- Follow the instructions to register for the TEAS (below) to see the dates when the TEAS is offered on HCC's campus.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE TEAS?
- Click on the following link and follow the directions below to register and pay for the TEAS test on the ATI website.
- Click on "Register for TEAS" in the lower right menu.
- Select "Maryland" and "Hagerstown" from the appropriate drop-down menus and select "NEXT".
- You should then see the upcoming dates the TEAS will be offered here at HCC. Click "Register" next to the date on which you wish to take the TEAS V.
- Follow the instructions to pay for your TEAS test date. You must sign in to the ATI website. You will need to create an account unless you already have an account with ATI.
- When prompted, choose "ADN" for the RN program and "PN" for the LPN program. Ignore the "AH" option.
WHERE SHOULD I GO ON MY SCHEDULED TEST DATE?
- Tests are held in the Learning Resource Center (LRC) on the HCC campus. You should report to room 322 before the scheduled time for your seating assignment. Please make sure you know where the LRC building is before your scheduled test time. Room 322 is on the third floor of the building (above the Brish Library).
HOW LONG DOES THE TEST TAKE?
- You should plan to leave four hours to take the test. You should arrive early; tests will start promptly at the scheduled times and you will not be allowed to test if you are late.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO THE TEST?
- On your testing date, you must have a valid Photo ID with signature (US Government or US State issued ID such as a driver’s license), your HCC student ID number, and a copy of your ATI e-mail confirmation as proof of payment. No other items, such as cell phones or food/drink, are permitted. You will be provided with writing materials for calculations. Calculators are not allowed during the TEAS test.
HOW MUCH DOES THE TEST COST?
- The cost of the test is $55.00. Students are required to pre-pay and pre-register for the TEAS test (see registration instructions above). Payment requires a credit card or bank card since you must pay online at the time you register for your test date.
WHAT IF I'VE ALREADY TAKEN THE TEAS AT ANOTHER SCHOOL?
- If you have taken the TEAS V AND if your scores are less than two years old, you can log into the ATI website and request that a copy of your scores be sent to the HCC Office of Admissions & Registration.
- If you have taken the TEAS 3.0 or TEAS 4.0, your scores are not valid for admission to either nursing program at HCC. You must take the TEAS V.
- If you took the TEAS V more than 2 years before the application deadline, you will have to take the test again.
WHAT DO I DO ONCE I HAVE MY TEAS V SCORES?
- If you DO meet the minimum scores: You must submit a copy of your results to the HCC Office of Admissions & Registration. If you take the TEAS at HCC, you will receive a printed copy of your scores as soon as you complete the test. Please immediately take this paper to the Office of Admissions and have them make a copy of your results. These will be verified with ATI once your score becomes official. If you took the TEAS somewhere other than HCC you must request an official copy of your scores from ATI.
- If you DO NOT meet the minimum scores: You will not be considered for admission to either program. You should review the available study materials and retake the TEAS after thorough studying. See below for information about studying for and retaking the TEAS V.
HOW CAN I STUDY FOR THE TEAS?
- ATI offers a study manual and two practice assessments for the TEAS V. These study materials can be found on ATI 's website. For information about study materials, click on "ATI Product Solutions" and "Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)". Make sure you look at the information for the TEAS V, not the TEAS 3.0/4.0.
- There are copies of the ATI official study manual on reserve in the HCC library. You can not check these out of the library, nor can you write in them. However, they are available to view for 2 hours at a time in the library. Please see the circulation desk to view these copies.
- There are other websites that offer TEAS prep material. (Simply search online for "TEAS test prep" or "TEAS practice questions".) However, many of these options are not specifically geared toward the TEAS V, so please be aware of how you study.
- In general, your 099 and 100-level classes at HCC should also be good preparation for the TEAS. The Science portion of the TEAS does require some knowledge of general cell biology, basic chemistry and a little Anatomy & Physiology. However, no specific score is required on the Science section.
HOW OFTEN CAN I TAKE THE TEAS?
- Students can only take the TEAS V twice during each admissions cycle. The two admissions cycles are January 16 through July 15 of each year and July 16 through January 15 of each year. You are required to pay for the test each time you take it.
- Students can only take the TEAS V once during any 30-day period. If you wish to take the TEAS V a second time, you must wait at least 30 days after the first attempt.
HOW LONG IS MY SCORE VALID?
- HCC will accept TEAS V scores up to 2 years old. If you took the TEAS more than 2 years ago, you most likely took the TEAS 3.0 or TEAS 4.0 and must take the new version of the test to be considered for admission.
WHY DOES HCC REQUIRE THE TEAS TEST?
- HCC conducted a multi-year study of TEAS scores of admitted nursing students. Based on the data of HCC nursing students, the required Total and Reading scores have been found to be predictive of success in HCC's nursing programs.
AS LONG AS I MEET THE MINIMUM SCORES, DOES IT MATTER WHAT MY SPECIFIC SCORES ARE?
- For RN Applicants: No. You must score at least a 60% overall (the average of all four sections) and at least a 69% on the Reading section. However, an applicant who scores a 61% overall and a 70% on the Reading will be given the same consideration as someone who scores a 99% overall and a 99% on the Reading. Applicants who meet the minimum scores on the TEAS test, must still meet the Admission Requirements as stated in the HCC Academic Catalog. Those who meet these criteria will be admitted based on the Selection Criteria listed in that same catalog.
- For LPN Applicants: Possibly. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements of 60-Total and 69-Reading, may have their specific TEAS scores used as a determination of admission to the LPN program. This depends on the total number of qualified applicants to the LPN program. (Please see the HCC Academic Catalog for more details.)